jueves, 31 de enero de 2008

A New Sight

This is a short essay to express what was left before and never done at all.
There are certain circumstances that can drive your life toward a new beginning, they may be unexpected by nonetheless defining.
Sometimes you think that you wasted your life, not in a real way, but you see yourself in certain positions that make you think, have I done enough?
I felt exactly like that in recent weeks thinking that it may be too late for me to achieve what others already had. We don’t realize that this kind thinking is what makes as losers, its never too late unless you never start.
So I push myself to the limit, I decided to prepare myself for a GMAT test in one week, in the end the result mix, I got 450 which is barely above average, but in the process I learn two important lessons that where somehow late.
The first one is the most important in mi life so far, I can do whatever I want to, I just need to commit myself to it. Have you notice that people that want something usually achieve that?
And I don’t mean being successful in their lives, take little things like; if you want to go to a club on the weekend and some of your friends push to a club where he or she feels it’s the best, you end up going there. Same thing when you chose a restaurant, a movie, etc.
At work if someone really needs the salary and is on commission, I bet that he or she will work harder than someone that does not need it as much. Here all the stories about couples that marry and were poor at the beginning but with hard work achieve a lot today?
So in essence I notice that I was lazy because I wanted to, I didn’t push myself to the limit, I was letting my body and mind to die in the tumultuous thoughts of failure.
I barely slept at night, I studied as hard as I could for a week, after work I had long hours of mathematical problems and tedious reading. On top of that the primaries in the United States were so exited that I had to follow them up too.
My days started at 6am, some exercise then a shower and strait to work. After work I went home and until 1 am in the morning all I did was taking online GMAT courses. I learn everything from scratch. I got a decent score looking at the preparation that I had, but most important, I did what I had to do, I drove my body and mind to the limit, and I did not collapse. Now its almost midnight and I am still writing; it was worth it.
Did you get the lesson?
Most of the people in the world are average, their lack of interest in anything is what makes them less competitive, no less intelligent. What I realize is that my appetite for knowledge have to go somewhere, it need to be canalize into something that experts the merit of the words, so I open this blog.
The first step is to see how hard you can be with yourself, so then you know how far you can get in a determinate time. I am proud of what I did, now I know where my limits are, so I can set a future, its not too late.
The second lesson is that you need to know how smart you are. I read as much as I can about things that interest me. Gladly I love geopolitics, economics, American politics, and international affairs. I had some projects that I will describe later when they are done (so no one still my ideas) that I am taking as a serious matter. So they are not just good ideas, but realities.
I did not get the score that I wanted, I could not go to the University that I wanted, but the most important thing is that I knew what happened. My score reflected not my stupidity but my ignorance. I knew I could have done better, much better. So I decided to prepare myself to another test, this time with months and not days, so I could prove that I am smart.
So knowing how smart you are its key. At first I was driven down, I felt melancholic and my future didn’t look so bright. Then I thought how thing eventually ended. I took studies seriously, I never did that before, I have a 4.0 GPA but because I have an extraordinary memory and I love to read, otherwise, I was an average student. I ended up with one of the highest scores of my promotion.
Anyways, I committed myself to a purpose and I worked really hard for it. The outcome was not what I wanted, not at all. Now what I am doing is pushing myself in the same way expecting long term results of a better preparation.
I write for a blog now, that concentrates in economics, some American politics and foreign affairs, so I cant afford to place things that are not accurate, I do have to research about some subjects and of course significantly improve my writing. Another thing that I got from my preparation for GMAT was the use of complicated words that better describe what is in my head.
I am placing this so you know if someone that is truly committed to a cause can achieve it. if as Chirs Rock said once “a B student happens to be the president…” the rest of us can do much better.
Now what are you capable of doing, try your best and even if you fail as I did, try harder and dream bigger. I did not get into the University of Ottawa, but I will get into Columbia, in the end it was always my dream. So by 2009 I will be there and you will se the prove that all that you need is that moment where you see with clarity your future. So when they ask you where you see yourself in the next five or ten years, now that its up to you to envision your life and drive it there.

PS: its a draft.

No hay comentarios: